Lively Children Childcare Center of Louisville is a nurturing environment based on the LifeWays® Child Care philosophy. One of the hallmarks of LifeWays® Child Care is the family-style approach. By caring for children in small groups of varying ages, the child’s daily experience is much more natural and home-like than the institutionalized and program-oriented care that is prevalent today. This approach to child care is ideal for the healthy development of the child, as is confirmed by current research on the importance of bonding in brain development. LifeWays offers an innovative relationship-based vision for childcare, both by parents in the home and by childcare providers in childcare centers, for children from birth to 6 years.
LifeWays practices are inspired by the works of Rudolf Steiner and the experience of Waldorf education and are supported by contemporary early childhood research as well as common sense and the wisdom of many generations of parents. LifeWays is based on the fundamental need for relationship-based care (bonding and continuity), neurological research, and recognition of living arts (domestic, nurturing, creative and social arts) as central to the advancement of children’s social, emotional and intellectual skills.
- Adult and child activities include practical life skills such as building, gardening, cleaning, cooking, washing, repairing, and sewing, among other things.
- Movement/play curriculum emphasizes child-initiated activities that promote healthy musculoskeletal development, providing opportunities for unstructured, spontaneous movement in a safe environment. Traditional games and finger-plays provide opportunities for the children to imitate healthy movement, develop proprioception and increase both small and large motor skills.
- The children go outside in all but the most inclement weather. This helps them become more robust and strengthens their bond with the environment in which they live. A protected area is provided for crawlers and infants.
- Child guidance is based on the L.O.V.E. Approach to Discipline: Listening, Laughter, Order, Objectivity, Versatility, Vulnerability, Energy and Enthusiasm.
- Natural organic foods are provided (whenever this is possible) and the children can participate in the food preparation.
- Foundation for lifelong literacy is fostered through storytelling and puppetry, individual lap time with a book, through poetry, verse, and music on a daily basis, through drama, and through the daily interactions of play and movement in a healthy, secure environment.
- Emphasis is on loving human interaction with warm speech, live singing, verses, and stories rather than technology. LifeWays Centers and Childcare Homes are television- and video-free environments except for use in administration and adult education.
- Festivals and celebrations honoring traditional seasonal festivals, cultural backgrounds of the families, and children’s birthdays are offered.